To Buy or Not To Buy
I just started reading To Buy or Not To Buy: Why We Overshop and How to Stop by April lane Benson, PhD. It looks like an interesting read.
Dr. Benson starts the conversation with her eleven categories of over-shoppers.
- You shop to feel better about yourself or more secure.
- You shop to avoid dealing with something important.
- You use shopping as a weapon, to express anger or seek revenge.
- You shop to hold on to love.
- You shop to soothe yourself or repair your mood.
- You shop to project an image of wealth and power.
- You shop to fit into an appearance-obsessed society.
- You shop in response to stress, loss, or trauma.
- You shop because it’s the lesser evil.
- You shop to feel more in control.
- You shop to find meaning in your life or to deny death.
Interesting list. I think I have met people from each category. Reading just this short portion of the book made me wonder about my shopping habits. I look forward to reading the rest of the book.