10 Tips on How to Get Going on a Task
How to get going on a task. If you are always doing things at the last minute, you are not alone. Many people have trouble getting motivated to start tasks. Large or small, homework, chores, or job responsibilities – getting started on all these can stress you out.
To help you with options to move forward, here are 10 tips to get you going.
- Evaluate whether the task is something you really value. Maybe it’s something that someone else asked of you and may not important to you.
- Imagine yourself doing and completing the task. Seeing the outcome may motivate you.
- Chunking. It means to break down your task into smaller, more doable pieces. It won’t seem so overwhelming then.
- Make action items. In addition, make a list of the tasks you want to accomplish and use verbs at the beginning of each item.
- Get it in your planner. Prioritize each task on your calendar and schedule enough time to do it, you are more likely to succeed.
- Use post-it notes to remind yourself of the tasks to complete. A little reminder never hurt.
- Be accountable to someone else. For instance, reporting to someone who will support your work and not criticize your efforts will be a great motivator.
- Look at what is getting in your way. If you have tried everything and still struggle, examine if outside (or inside) forces are getting in your way.
- Get help. Working with a friend will motivate you to move forward. Making any activity more social can add to the experience.
- Finally, plan a reward at the completion of a task. Make it small, but fun.
Do you struggle with getting and staying organized?
Are you afraid to start an organizing project just to be overwhelmed or lose motivation in the middle, to be left with even more chaos? You are not alone. That’s the fear of most people who don’t have time to allot to a big organizing project.
The new My Basic HOME, your Home Organizing Maintenance Exercise subscription service.
Your guide to better-organized spaces and the accountability to maintain it, delivered as a text message JUST FOR YOU! Get a message each weekday to prompt you into action. Get the support you need with expert advice from the Basic Organization team and other subscribers in a private Facebook group.